To apply to be a Volunteer at Amelia Con 2016, please read the below information to get a feel for what you’ll be doing at the convention and then complete the form found here. Thank you!
The first Amelia Con was held on September 5-7, 2014 and welcomed over 1200 attendees, greatly exceeding our expectations for the inaugural event. We learned a lot that year and appreciate all the effort our volunteers put into helping us operate the convention. Amelia Con Staff meets regularly to discuss operations and volunteer structure for our 2016 event. We are making major improvements to our existing system based on feedback and experience. We hope that you will join us as we continue growing and offering a unique experience to the greater Nassau County area.
As previously stated, we learned a lot about managing volunteers and operating the convention in our first year. We’ve already made significant improvements that we know will help us better manage the flow of traffic, congestion, volunteer staffing, and payment processing in the registration and badge pick-up areas.
- More tiered volunteer and staff leadership
- Ticket purchaser and ticket holder information appears on internal records
- Autographs and Special Guest purchases will be handled directly by Special Guests at their tables in the Exhibit Hall and not by Amelia Con volunteers, staff, or registration
- Added 2 additional point of sale tablets
- Budgeted for Security T-shirts to address visibility concerns in the exhibit hall
- Working with Days Inn & Suites for training dates and planning meetings that volunteers can attend
- Moved Amelia Con merchandise to an Amelia Con booth, separate from registration
- Moved Volunteer Check-In to an Amelia Con booth, separate from registration
- Procured radios for Convention Chair and Co-Chair to use to improve cross-venue communications on Saturday
- Added Volunteer positions to control entrance to the Exhibit Hall’s registration area
- Budgeted for more durable outdoor signage
- Allotted convention brochure space for FULL event map in addition to separate maps for outdoor, Exhibit Hall, Main Events, and Days Inn & Suites events
- Implemented monetary incentive for Volunteer follow-through
If you cannot participate in Amelia Con 2016, please do not apply to be a volunteer.
In 2014, we were on an honor system and it did not work. On the day of the event, over half of our committed volunteers did not participate. This left the convention short-handed and almost incapable of managing the event. It was thanks to some very hardworking staff and volunteers who worked well over their allotted times that the event didn’t fall apart. For those of you who came and helped, even if it was just for your scheduled time, thank you. We appreciate your commitment to Amelia Con and the community.
For those of you who were there, we listened to your feedback and concerns.
After speaking with other convention chairs, we have decided to adopt a reimbursement policy to motivate our volunteers to show up.
In order to volunteer at Amelia Con you must purchase a Volunteer Ticket after you have been accepted as a Volunteer.
If you signed-up to volunteer at Amelia Con 2014 and you were a no-show (AKA – you didn’t email or call us at least the day before the event), your volunteer application will be rejected immediately. We understand that things happen. However, we cannot risk Amelia Con 2016 having as many no-show volunteers. We have a list of the volunteers who checked-in and those who did not. We will check all of our 2016 volunteer applications against this list.
If you apply to be a volunteer, you are committing to participating in Amelia Con 2016 and the volunteer meeting in January 2016. DO NOT complete the volunteer application if you cannot guarantee your participation.
Once you have worked your Amelia Con 2016 shift, you’ll come to the Amelia Con booth to be reimbursed for your Volunteer Ticket.
Amelia Con will need at least 50-60 volunteers to operate Amelia Con 2016. We have a growing wishlist of events we would like to add to our programming. But, first, we need staff to pull it off! We’re looking forward to building a core group of volunteers who are ages 16 and older who will join us to make each Amelia Con better than the last. We are looking for people who will give us feedback about our current processes, who are willing to help us plan, and want to make Amelia Con a success.
- Customer Service
- Special Event and Tournament Assistants
- A/V Technicians
- Equipment Handlers
All Amelia Con volunteers must:
- Be age 16 or older
- Be able to lift up to 20 lbs
- Be able to stand for at least 1 hour
- Be punctual
- Have people skills
- Possess a working cell phone with text features
- Have reliable transportation
- Attend the January 2016 Volunteer Meeting
- Purchase their Volunteer Ticket before December 15, 2015
- Show up 30 minutes before their scheduled shift
- Stay for the full duration of their shift
- Turn in their Volunteer badge when finished
Some positions (like security and equipment handling) have additional requirements.
- Must be 18 or older
- Must provide t-shirt size before December 1, 2015
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to arrive very early on Saturday, February 6, 2016
- Must have a working knowledge of sound equipment, speakers, PA Systems, microphones, TV’s, Video Game Consoles, PCs, and other A/V electronics
- Must be able to arrive very early on Saturday, February 6, 2016 and must be available for the full duration of the convention on Saturday (you can browse the exhibit hall and attend events, but you must be able to be at the stage within 5 minutes)
To apply to be a volunteer, complete the form found here before December 1, 2015.
You will receive a confirmation email verifying the receipt of your application. You will be contacted at a later date, but no later than December 2, 2015 regarding your application‘s status. Volunteer positions will be filled as Staff sees fit based on experience and when staff decides to fill them. The earlier you apply, the more likely you are to be selected. Because we are filling these positions as we go, there may be very limited (if any) positions available in November. We will communicate when all positions are filled and this page will be updated.
If you are selected, you will receive a link to purchase a Volunteer Ticket. Volunteer Tickets are $15. You will be refunded the full amount when you turn in your badge and complete your shift.
If you are not selected, you will be notified and placed on a volunteer waiting list. You will not be required to purchase a Volunteer Ticket unless your application is approved. If your application is approved at a later time, your Volunteer Ticket must be purchased within 2 weeks of notification, but no later than 2 days before Amelia Con.
If you are selected as a Volunteer and you purchase your Volunteer Ticket, but you do not show up at the convention, you will not be refunded.
If you are selected as a Volunteer and you purchase your Volunteer Ticket, pick up your wristband, and then do not work your shift, you will not be refunded.
You must come to the Amelia Con booth to check-in for your shift. (This is why you need to arrive 30 minutes early.) If you do not check-in at the booth, we will not know that you worked your shift and you will not be refunded.